Friday, October 26, 2012

Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

In case you haven't already noticed, fall is my favorite season. My home starts to fill with the smell of baked goods, and the outdoors fill with the smell of clean, fresh air. By simply walking outside I feel rejuvinated, like I just stepped out of the shower. I have to remind myself that the cool, crisp air of the outdoors cannot substitute a shower. It's a tough concept to accept, because outside feels so fresh!

But most of all, fall gives me a craving for nature. My wardrobe takes on earthy tones--forest greens, mustard yellows, and chocolate browns. And I find every possibly excuse to drive up to the mountains...every weekend.

And then come these cookies. How is a chocolate chip cookie reminiscent of fall, you might ask? This chocolate chip cookie isn't just any chocolate chip cookie, it is a fresh, natural, earthy cookie. The buckwheat flour gives them a natural (but chocolately!) aroma and a fresh, earthy taste. All I have to do is close my eyes with one of these in my mouth, and then there I am--sitting outside on the grass, legs crossed in lotus pose, utterly and completely happy. That's what this cookie is for me. Try it...discover what it might be for you.
Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from: Gluten Free Goddess

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup gluten free buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch
  • 1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • heaping 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (I always measure, then melt.)
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2-5 tbsp. almond milk (or milk of choice), as needed
  • 1-10 oz. bag dark chocolate chips
Instructions:
Whisk together the first six ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat together the coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and honey. Once well combined, add in the eggs and mix until incorporated.

Add in the dry ingredients bit by bit, mixing as you go. As the dough thickens, add 1 tbsp. at a time of almond milk to help the mixing process. When you finally have a smooth dough, fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for one hour.

After an hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using a cookie scooper, form 20 large cookies on a cookie sheet (you may need two). Bake for 10-15 minutes, according to your liking. We like our cookies soft and gooey! Make sure to watch the bottom of the cookies as they tend to cook much faster than the top.

Dig in!
xoxo,
lauren

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...