Wednesday, February 13, 2013

14 mile victory.

Over the weekend I completed my last long training run before my half marathon. I cannot believe it's only 2 weeks away<----wow!
Running 14 miles was certainly a challenge. It might not be an exaggeration to say I was in some of the worst pain I've ever been in while running...and I've had plenty of those experiences in my cross country days.  A lot of the difficulty was due to my poor pre-run decisions. I haven't taken my training too seriously (given--I'm trying to keep this thing enjoyable). So Friday, Scofield and I hung out with some friends, stayed out a little too late, and had more of a late snack than a real dinner. Then, I woke up the next morning, ate breakfast, drank coffee and water, and kind of just went. I don't think I realized I was really going to run 14 miles. My body certainly didn't.
[My post run view] as I laid flat on the grass and looked up at the sky..seriously unable to move. It is Wednesday now, and I think I have finally recovered. I'm only 22, but my 22 year old body can not take the hits of a long run like my 15 year old body could. With my first half marathon in high school, I don't think I ever once complained of pain during or after my runs. Now I have to bite my tongue so I don't drive Scofield too crazy. I'm also pretty sure I've exhausted him with all of the back and calf massages I've needed. This half marathon has turned out to be work for him too. ha. But he's been a great sport.

Lesson learned: Eat a full dinner and stay hydrated before the race. Get a full night's sleep. Use energy goo during the run! 

We'll see how this all works. 

Hope all is well with you guys!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...