Monday, March 31, 2014

sunday soup: kale and cauliflower

i've debated trading in my durable iphone case for a less durable, yet much prettier one. [you can see one of my favorites at the moment here]. it's a risky decision. there's a commercial out about a new phone case and all the different ways people have dropped their phone. well, i can totally relate. the amount of times i drop my phone in a day is unreal...i'm as clumsy as they come. the other day i was running and really trying to finish strong. i had my eye on the finish line, which was across the street as soon as i reached the curb. my phone was in my hand to record my distance and time. i took my final step onto the curb, tripped and completely lost my balance. i face planted straight into the concrete. yes...face.planted. i was all kinds of emotional in that moment - angry, embarrassed, super upset. and of course, my phone flies out of my hands and bounces right down the side walk. i'm surprised it didn't bounce into the middle of the street and get run over by a truck...i can just see that happening now and i cringe.
my mom just finished nursing school [i know, she's so awesome] and she told me about one day after class when she tripped and fell straight to the ground. i remember i couldn't help but laugh so hard at her...sympathetically, of course. well, i'm not laughing anymore. like mother, like daughter, i guess.
you see why this phone case thing is such a hard decision for me...
anyway, this weekend we enjoyed some kale and cauliflower soup. it's a delicious way to get in your vegetables. hope you enjoy!

kale and cauliflower soup

ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 head cauliflower, rinsed and chopped
  • 5 cups kale
  • 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup tahini paste
  • salt and pepper, to taste
in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. cook the onion and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent and the garlic is light brown. add the broth and bring to a boil. add cauliflower and cook, covered, until soft about four minutes. next, reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the kale, cheese and tahini paste.

in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. drizzle with olive oil and serve with a little extra cheese.

hope your weekend was lovely!

4 comments :

  1. Perfect! This looks so simple and delicious - and now I finally have a way to use the rest of that tahini paste I got for a hummus I made the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love how you are talking all about phone cases and then there comes an "anyway, here is the recipe". I often find it so hard to find hundreds of words to explain how delicious and amazing a recipe is, when it is just that: delicious and amazing. And in the end pictures tend to say more then words for that matter ;) so this one is bookmarked and will be recreated soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, this looks beyond scrumptious! What gorgeous shots of the food too! :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...